Singapore’s Iconic Merlion Popsicle Food At The Esplanade

Local artisan ice cream maker, Leeu SG, has appeared on the Esplanade, and no other dessert series screams “Singapore only” than their own.

Founded by the team of husband and wife Jenn and Valerie, this pretty little store offers us treats that sum up the flavors of our sunny island, with "every bite really strikes at home for all Singaporeans", as the co says. -Founder Valerie herself.

For the curious, Leeu actually means "lion" in Afrikaans, and the name was born when the couple took a trip to South Africa in 2017, during which they were impressed by the majestic lions who wander around the national park. Krugger.

Boasting strawberry and milk flavors, the popsicle reminded me of when I would indulgently snack on a Chupa Chupa with strawberries and cream or two behind my mother's back (oops, sorry mom).

Plus, I really loved the fact that the strawberry had just the right amount of acidity, helping to balance the sweetness of the whole snack.

Merlion popsicle

The theme of fantasy is very present throughout the store, as you can see in their obsession with fictional beings like the unicorn and the Merlion.

We launched the session with their signature Icy Merlion ($ 4.80), patriotically dressed in the colors of the nation as well, look like the Merlion statue Singapore. The largest popsicle is what will be served, while the smallest are just tasting portions.


How cute would a Merlion baby popsicle be? They should seriously consider selling them to a family.

Another Leeu offer that grabs attention every time is “L'Esplanade” ($ 11.80), which was inspired by the very building that houses the taste of ice cream and looks exactly like the room too!

$ 11.80 may seem heavy at first, but you get durian all through the pie. Even as a person who doesn't like fruit, I was quickly won over by the thick, rich and authentic flavors of durian that spilled over my palate the moment the piece hit my tongue.

I must say it was easily one of my favorites from Leeu. Jenn explained that the piping and filling are both made from D24 durians that come directly from her durian farm, and he replaces them with Mao Shan Wang when they are in season.

The Fish Tail

The all-time favorite Japanese dessert, Taiyaki, is also available at Leeu and what you see here is The Fish Tail ($ 6.80).


Taiyaki looked a bit like the soft version of the previous Icy Merlion, except more creamy. Cold, creamy ice cream on a warm, soft pancake comforts me.

That said, ice cream naturally melts very quickly, so act quickly on it! (We planned this plan five seconds in advance in order to photograph the ice cream perfectly.)

The only complaint I had with it was the azuki beans at the bottom which tasted too earthy for my taste. But it's just me, their azuki beans are supposed to come directly from Japan, so that must count for something, right?

The fish-shaped dessert is also available in a charcoal waffle, for those looking for a slightly more roasted flavor.

Soda ice cream

Jenn's generosity didn't stop there, we were pleasantly surprised by a platter of their soda ice cream floats ($ 6.80 each), but note that these are just tasting portions again.

The real deal is served as such, and here we have The Red Dot ($ 6.80). The peach and berry soda was almost medicinal for me, so needless to say, I wasn't really a fan. On the positive side, I did not miss the sweet strawberry service.


It really reminded me of those Blue Lagoon drinks you can get at old school bubble tea places. The deep blue hue also emulates clear seawater, which is why it's called The Sentosa Breeze ($ 6.80).

Inside we found a wedge of lemon and lychee, which makes it a really refreshing combination.

Why so blue? You can ask. We have heard that it comes from the natural food, Blue Majik powder, which is a variant of spirulina. So throw your worries about artificial food coloring aside and treat yourself.

If soft drinks aren't really your jam, Leeu also included The Old Timer ($ 6.80) in their menu. This "weird tau Huey" drink is actually a fusion of pandan milk and tofu, and while it may sound strange at first, I guarantee it is nothing short of delicious.

When I told Jenn it was my favorite drink, he joked, "Oh, I already know you're the old-fashioned guy." Guilty as accused.

If you're feeling fancy, you can also top up $ 3 to transport your drink in a unicorn chariot. It sounds gimmicky, but it's the kind of gimmick I would love to accept.

What looks like Cheng Tng in a cup is actually The Collagen Boost ($ 6.80), which hasn't been placed on the menu yet but is up for grabs.

If you are not convinced, here are some of the many pieces of collagen you can find around the cup. Jenn swears that if you drink it every day, your complexion will thank you later.


Here are me and Jenn with my newly acquired unicorn chariot. We said goodbye and with that, my visit to Leeu SG ended.

I'm not one to have a sweet tooth, but some Leeu treats really made me want a lot. My favorites should be "L'Esplanade" and The Old Timer, let me know yours when you stopped there for a taste?

Expected damage: $ 4.80 - $ 11.80 per person

  • Leeu SG: The Esplanade, # 02-07 1 Esplanade Dr, Singapore 038981 | 
  • Opening hours: 12 noon - 10 p.m. (every day) | 
  • Phone: +65 9489 7433 |

Post a Comment

0 Comments